Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Breast is Best!

Ever heard the saying, "Breast is best?"  I've been hearing it A LOT, since the beginning of the pregnancy, and I have to say I totally agree.  BUT... (a big butt lol) they don't really mention to you how challenging it can be.  I'm not complaining.  YET.  I'm not planning on complaining either, I'm really just trying to document my struggle and success so that in a few days (probably longer) I can look back and hopefully see progress.

Feeding hasn't been easy.  I've spent 1-2 hours each feeding trying to make sure baby gets enough milk.  Luckily my boobs have been leaking a lot of milk, so when I was getting frustrated and sore, I would let him sip up the milk just to make sure he's eating something.

5 hours later:

I'm back.  In the hospital the nurses and one of the lactation consultants told me that the baby's frenulum was to short and that we should consider cutting it! Yikes!  Luckily we waited to get a second opinion.  Two pediatricians we spoke with said that his tongue is just fine!  Lesson learned:  ALWAYS get a second opinion when it comes to nurses/hospitals etc. So anyway back to the nurses and first lactation lady.  They recommended that I pump colastrum so that I could feed it to the baby.  Pumping wasn't to bad, but not my favorite experience.  I pumped enough to feed him two of his meals.  Before the second meal another lactation consultant came in and she helped us to get a good latch on!  She's the best, her name is Tina, and if you deliver at Castle you should try to get her to come in and help you with breastfeeding.  She does magic!

Trying to feed the baby at home and finding a comfortable spot/position has been hard but I found one.  Today we went to see the pediatrician and then the OB and deeeeen... we got to see Tina again.  She told me I had stubby nipples and said that the best position for me is the football position.  We tried it and within 5 minutes got Nainoa to latch on.  My nipples were raw from the past 2 days of unsuccesful latching and it was hard to sit through it, but I knew that the pain I was feeling wasn't from a poor latch.  We had the best feeding EVER!!!  Nainoa latched on for almost 20 minutes and by the end of the feeding he was knocked out!  We couldn't wake him up to go to the other breast. lol.  He was limp and in dream land.  It was so beautiful and I felt so happy that I finally gave my son a good meal.  I was starting to despair a little.  EVEN BETTER... we got home and when it was time to feed again I was able to repeat the success I had earlier.  I was so happy I started crying.  Thank you TINA you are magical!  AND my husband is the best.  He sits with me through almost all the feedings, holds my hand, holds the baby's hand, and reminds me of the proper technique that we were taught.  He also fetches the water and snacks and he loves having his skin-to-skin time with baby.  I feel so lucky.

I know that there is still a lot of breastfeeding road to travel, but I feel empowered and I know that together we can do it!

6 hours later:

I'm back.  Had two feedings since I last wrote.  They didn't go as good.  Feeling a bit discouraged and sore, BUT (my big butt) I'm looking forward to trying again and hopefully finding success with the next feeding.

2 comments:

  1. Youʻll get it Tif! Keep up the good work. Itʻs so worth it. He got it once and heʻll get it. either way, donʻt be discouraged! I know youʻll do whatever it takes to take care of your son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep it up tif! it can be crazy hard at first, but give it at least 6 weeks and i bet you'll be cooking dinner while nursing the baby (not recommended, i did that once) LOL. of course it's best for baby, but it's great to get rid of the mommy-shape :) hope that's a little helpful, lots of love!

    ReplyDelete