Friday, September 30, 2011

My Life is Good!

You have to say the title like Nacho Libre.  Youtube it.  It's the scene where he's telling the kids, "I get to sleep in a bed alone, all my life, FANTASTIC... My Life is good."  Here's why:

I went to Chantel's baby shower last night with Nainoa.  DRAMA!!!  Just as they were about to bless the food Nainoa started to cry.  Poor little guy, he was so tired, but there was so much going on he couldn't sleep.  He got really upset after about 5 minutes and started to wail!  I felt so bad for him and I also felt a little embarrassed because all of the other mothers with babies looked like they were thinking, "Ha!"  Oh well.  I try not to care about what other people think but of course sometimes, okay a lot of times, I do care.  Sometimes I make things up in my head that I think other people are thinking of me.  Lol.  This is an easy one to shrug off.  It's actually really hilarious.

I've started a "routine" with Nainoa for bedtime that has been going pretty good so far.  Sometimes he gets really fussy when he's tired. I put him on the boob to help him calm down.  Once he relaxes I take him off and start singing, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow."  In the last verse of the song I swaddle him and then I kiss him on the cheek and say, "Mommy loves you son."  I put him down into his bed and walk out of the room.  So far this approach has worked 4 times!  If I can get him to do it for a few days I plan on skipping the calming put-him-on-the-boob step and going on to the song and swaddle.  We'll see how that goes.

Here's a pic of Nainoa after I gave him a bath today.  He loves sitting in his little tubby and loves having his head washed.  I'll post a picture of the tubby later.

Uncle Matt arrived from LA last night.  We are so happy to see him and I can tell Tim's really happy that he can finally show his son off to someone from his side of the family.  Uncle Matt's first words to Nainoa were, "Hey little man," and then to us, "He's so tiny."  I remember what I felt when I first became an aunty and met my nephew Kamani.  It's one of the best moments in my life.  I was amazed at how much love I felt, and kept thinking, "Imagine how it's going to be when I finally have my own baby."  I wonder if men feel the same.



This morning Matt and Tim helped me to babysit Sanoe's boys.  They both had fun playing with the kids on the playground and in front of the house.  The boys were so good.  I'm beginning to think that young boys need to be babysat by men because then it's like they have a friend over to play.  That is, If the guy babysitting will play with them.

We went to see the shaper Eric Arakawa at his factory in Waialua.  Tim told me after lunch at Cholo's, "let's go order your board today!"  So off we went!  We arrived at the factory and Uncle Matt volunteered to keep an eye on Nainoa in the car while we went inside.  Tim said something to the girl at the desk and we walked into the next room that had a lot of boards, some for pro surfers (their names were on the board.)  The girl helping us pulled the board out of a bunch and handed it to me.  Then Tim said, "Haha I ordered it already!"  I could believe it!  I was so happy I almost cried.  It was such an awesome surprise.  Tim is so tricky and I didn't suspect anything at all.  I'm so happy and I plan on trying out my new board tomorrow!


Tim and Matt went to town this afternoon so Tim could get some stunt man training!  He might do some stunt work on HI-5-0.  We'll see!  Nainoa and I are hanging out with grandma at home.  Well, he's sleeping, which I should be doing too!

But no... I couldn't sleep.  He woke up really upset and really hungry!  I fed him for about 10 minutes and then he wanted to go back to sleep.  So I let him.  Right after I put him down I looked out the window and decided I needed to get in the water.  The sun had set a while ago and it was starting to get dark.  My mom said she'd keep an eye on Nainoa so I got in the car and drove to Hukilau.  As I walked from the parking lot I could smell the sea floating on the breeze, then the sand soft and cool between my toes and finally the water warm and inviting as if it was saying, "welcome back Tif!" Lol.  I was surprised at how warm it was!  Definitely not what I expected.  After jumping in the water I got out and laid on the sand staring into the sky, listening to the waves crash.  It's moments like these I feel so free.  Lucky to be alive, to live near the sea and to call my home the beautiful Hawai'i.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way when it comes to thinking what other people think about me. I hate making things up in my head sometimes and believe it, haha. But you seem to be doing a wonderful job with your little one and they all have their moments where they just don't feel like being on their best behavior, so it's completely normal.

    I love your new board and am excited for you to try it! And I love your bedtime routine with Nainoa!

    ReplyDelete