Friday, December 9, 2011

Out Of My Way! (please)

Sleep Training.  Just a warning, I'm going to blab and complain a little.  And it's not going to go anywhere.  I just need to vent.

I read somewhere, in regards to sleep training, "If you don't train your baby, your baby will train you."  This is turning out to be too true for me.  I've been wanting to try the CIO (Cry It Out) method for some time now but I'm not, I should be saying WE are not, consistent enough.  I'm obviously about to complain about things I feel are getting in my way, and I apologize for the negativity, BUT I'm sure at the end of it I will find something good.

1.  My biggest enemy - indecisiveness
We can't make a firm decision about our goals for sleep time and the method to use.

2.  Parents, siblings, and other people who like to give their opinions.  We worry about what they think and say and it influences our decisions.  We worry about all the crying EVERYONE in our household will have to listen to if we let Nainoa cry it out.  I can handle it because I know what the goal is, I'm not sure if Tim can handle it, and I'm pretty sure my parents won't be able to handle it because they don't understand why we are doing it.  My dad thinks it's an "American way" YES that's what he called it.  And he told me that when the baby is crying it means something.  I think I knew that already.  I think.

I'm starting to get so frustrated.  I can't even finish this blog.  

I've picked my baby up 6 times tonight to rock him back to sleep.  Don't get me wrong.  I love cuddling him and seeing him relax and close his eyes as soon as he's in my arms.  It feels wonderful!  What worries me is that he will develop poor sleeping habits, which will in turn effect his wake-time habits, which in turn effect eating habits.  

I can't even finish that paragraph.  There is too much to say, and complain about.  I'm just going to skip it and move to the positive.

I went to a graduation dinner with my friend Sanoe.  She's graduating from BYU-H with a bachelors degree in Business and with honors!  Woohooo!

Nainoa is such a sweet little boy and is learning and growing so much.  According to my book "The Baby Bible" he shows a lot of the physical development signs of a 5 month old baby!  Woohoo!  Now all I need to do is help him to have better naps.  The Dr. said 1.5 hours 2-3 times a day.  Right now we are lucky if we can get him down for one sleep cycle.  Oh well.  I'll just keep trying.  

2 comments:

  1. I think that's the wonderful thing about blogging. You can vent about anything you want and it really does help at the end. I hope you continue to let your frustrations out in writing. I've found that it's kind of like just letting your fingers do the talking for you, and they sort of just find a way to make you feel better at the very end, even if you can't finish a paragraph because you're so frustrated. :)

    Although I'm not a parent, I think that's the beautiful thing about starting a family. Your own family that you started began with you and Tim. Nainoa is the beginning of another chapter that you and Tim get to write on your own. It must be difficult to make decisions about what to do with your little bundle of joy, especially living with other family members in the same home, but at the end of the day (or even during free time), perhaps you can reflect and look at the positive things that came out of it!

    I'm so happy you have a blog, Tiff. I usually read blogs from my phone, and I'm not sure why it's difficult to access yours! I've found it common when I access people's blogs who have their's set on private, which is completely fine and safe!! Just wanted to throw that out there because I love reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that Tiff. I think it is always hard to parent your own child when you are living with your parents. When mine come back to Utah to visit, they tell me what I should be doing with Wes and shouldn't be doing with him, and it is hard. Especially when it is your own child and you are learning yourself, and you know him better than your parents do. Sometimes you do need to vent though. I hope the sleeping thing goes well and you can finally get some shut eye. I did the crying it out method and it was hard, but after awhile Wes went to sleep. I hope you find something that works though, whether it is an "American" way or not:-)

    ReplyDelete