Thursday, February 10, 2011

Oh Laie!

I apologize ahead of time if you read this and are bored. I'm just thinking out loud.

I've been reading for the past hour and a half about Laie and the Envision Laie Plan, and also different articles on the plan and the comments of those who also read the articles. RIDICULOUS! I'm trying to find more information to form a better opinion of everything but there is so much going on. I plan to check out the "information center" down at the shopping center. So far this is how I feel and what I know about the "plan."

-there is already land behind BYU that has been zoned for affordable housing. BUT BYUH wants to take that land for themselves and use it to increase the amount of students at the school. (NO THANK YOU!) They are trying to get the state to use OTHER lands for the community's affordable housing.

-They are building a bike path. (woohoo!?) It is a beautiful bike path, and there are a lot of people that like to run that stretch from Laie to Kahuku, but why is it so BIG? It's huge! it could be another lane for cars to drive in. Lol. It is a bit ridiculous. BUT a good start and a good thing. I GUESS. It just seems a bit frivolous.

-They want to build a huge hotel! I heard that it's going to be 4 times as big as the old Laniloa lodge. NO THANK YOU! They bust down the old hotel and have all that land ready to go. Just waiting for approval. I don't like how this will effect the traffic in our area, or the fact that our town will be overrun with tourists even more than it already is! (And it's being overrun by stupid byuh students who walk in the middle of the road down my street and don't move when cars are driving past. Get off the road!) The costs of what the community is paying to have this hotel built (not monetary costs) is greater than the reward.

Ok so I'm just ranting about all of this. I want to do more research. And make sure I have all my facts straight. But from what I've learned so far... This is how I feel. So now i'm going to go check out the info center tomorrow and see what else the plan has to say.

I'm confused and surprised that so many members of our community are in favor of the plan. I can't see the benefits for the community. Looks like PCC, BYU, and HRI will benefit. Not Laie.

No comments:

Post a Comment