Saturday, October 30, 2010

How I Met My Sweetheart

Last summer (2009) I was rushing to catch the 2:54 train to work. I walked through the ticket gates and then I saw him. He was standing with his friend outside of Newsdays. I had to walk about 15m before I actually passed him. The whole time I was walking towards him I felt nervous and a little embarrassed. He was staring at me. I'm not trying to be conceited but he was! I gave him and his a friend a half-hello-smile before they were behind me. But it was awkward. I remember feeling embarrassed, but I also felt a little vain. He was looking at me, like I was pretty or something...

A few months later a friend of mine was told to get in contact with her best friend's uncle, who happened to be playing rugby out here. She sent him a message on face book, but his wife took it the wrong way and basically told my friend to beat it. That's just the short version! It's unnecessary to go into those details. That's not my story to tell. (BUT, We found out later that my friend is actually related to the guy playing rugby and his wife did apologize for her mistake) From this incident I deduced that all rugby guys living in the Shin-Urayasu area were married.

A few weeks after that, I ran into Justine and Brad Mika, a Samoan couple from NZ. He was jogging and she was riding along side on her bike. We had dinner the next day and quickly became good friends. I invited them both to my celebrate my birthday with me and the rest of the crew in Shibuya. They mentioned a really cool club called "Pure Bar" and that's where we ended up kicking off the birthday celebrations. Justine had to fly back to NZ to receive her law school diploma so Brad came and brought a few friends with him, an aussie guy and two nihonjin. Brad was going to take us to Pure Bar and we were supposed to meet him at the Starbucks in the big Shibuya Crossing. When we got there he introduced us to his friends: Tim, Yoshio, and Kingo. I gave Brad a hello kiss because that is a custom with Polynesians, but I was to shy to kiss everyone hello, so the rest of the boys got a handshake. Tim was wearing a red shirt, and Kingo was wearing a shirt with a tractor on it. The rest of us were dressed up like Sailors. The theme was, "I'm on a boat" look it up on youtube it's a really funny song.



My first impression of Tim: I thought he was handsome and rugged and he looked tough. I also thought he was MARRIED.

I felt attracted to him. I saw him look at me a few times. So I did my best to stay away from him and NOT dance with him. After a while I felt a little annoyed. I thought to myself, what is he doing here? Why isn't he at home with his wife and the kids he probably has? That's NOT cool. I remember saying to one of the girls, "I don't want to look at him, or dance with him, or talk to him. He's married!" For some reason Brad thought we'd make a good couple because he told me that Tim thought I was cute, and he wanted to know if I would be interested on going on a date sometime. I told Brad, "No, he's married!" And hetried to explain to me that Tim wasn't married, but I didn't believe him. We were leaving Pure Bar and Tim started to flirt with me and he tried to take pictures with me on the stairs.

We got in a taxi and went to Propaganda in Roppongi. Brad and Tim were trying to buy the bar, and Tim kept trying to talk to me and dance with me. I'm not sure why, but Tim started saying to me, "I know you wanna kiss me, I know you wanna kiss me."



I got so upset, turned to him and said, "No, I'm sorry I DO NOT want to kiss you. You're married!" He looked surprised and told me he wasn't and I just walked away. I went to Sina, and I told her, "Sina do not let me kiss him! He's married! Just watch me and don't let me kiss him." Then Brad came up to me and told me he wasn't married! But I still didn't believe it. Then Sina talked to them both and found out the truth. Tim wasn't married.


So we danced and flirted and then he wrote his phone number down in my black book. And THAT is how I met my sweetheart. I found out almost a year later that Tim didn't actually tell Brad he wanted to go on a date with me. Brad told Tim I wanted to go on a date with him, and told me Tim wanted to go on a date with me. So thank you Brad for tricking both of us! We are eternally grateful!


-Tif

No comments:

Post a Comment